CE MARKING PROCEDURE
- Identify the directives that apply to the product. If more than one applies, all must be complied with.
- Determine the extent to which the product complies with the requirements of the applicable directive(s).
- Choose the conformity assessment procedure* based on the directive for your product.
- Select the applicable product standards and test methods for your product and select an independent laboratory if the directive(s) states that product testing is to be done externally.
- Compile the Technical File of technical documentation for your product. The Technical File holds information that verifies that the testing was conducted properly and that the product complies with applicable standards; it is product dependent.
- Prepare a DoC declaring that the product fulfils the requirements of the applicable directive(s) with the legally binding signature of the manufacturer.
- Affix the CE mark to your product. There are specific rules to adhere to in CE marking.
* Conformity Assessment Procedure options for products with minimal risk include DoC while products with greater risks may require tests, audits or additional certificates from a Notified Body.
Product categories requiring CE marking include the products listed below.
- Cableway equipment
- Electrical products
- Gas appliances
- Medical devices
- Telecommunications equipment
A full list of product categories may be found here.
Product groups with regulations according to the ErP Directive include:
- Consumer electronics (televisions)
- Electric motors
- External power supplies
- Household refrigerating appliances
- Non-directional household lamps
- Simple set-top boxes
- Standby and off-mode losses
- Tertiary sector lighting
To determine if a particular product is subject to the above regulations, please contact us.
TÜV SÜD has the experience and capability to support manufacturers in attaining compliance with EU*(and individual country) requirements and obtaining the necessary approvals. The TÜV SÜD family is a Notified Body with the expertise and capability to test your product to a large variety of Directives.
TÜV SÜD can provide:
- Expert opinions in the compliance of CE marking requirements
- Test reports to support Technical File documentation
- CE marking
- Certification of Conformity** for safety, EMC, energy efficiency, RoHS & WEEE and applicable standards
* EU Directives are the minimum requirements that manufacturers must meet for products to enter the EU. However, individual country requirements may also be applicable.
** In addition to CE marking, which is simply a symbol for trade with the assumption of conformity, TÜV SÜD Marks are a certification of compliance with European (EN) standards.