Compliance with the requirements of the EU’s ErP Directive is mandatory for all energy-using and energy-related products imported, marketed or sold in the EU. Products bearing the CE Mark are presumed compliant with the requirements of the ErP Directive as well as the requirements of all other applicable directives (such as the EMC Directive, RoHS Directive and the Low Voltage Directive), thereby assuring legal access to all EU member states.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for all types of consumer products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
The European Union’s directive for ecodesign requirements for energy-related products (2009/125/EC, also known as the ErP or Ecodesign Directive), provides consistent EU-wide requirements for improving the environmental performance of energy related products. The scope of the ErP Directive includes:
Energy-using products (EUPs)
Products which use, generate, transfer or measure energy (including electricity, gas and fossil fuels), for example:
Computers, monitors, printers and other office equipment
Consumer electronics, such as televisions, set top boxes and radios
Household appliance, such as dishwashers, washing machines and clothes dryers
Cooling and refrigeration devices
Lamps and lighting fixtures
Energy related products (ERPs)
Products which do not use energy but that have an impact on energy consumption and that can therefore contribute to energy savings. ERPs including windows and other building materials, and plumbing fixtures.
The ErP Directive provides a regulatory framework for ecodesign requirements. Specific technical requirements are detailed in Implementing Measures published by the EU Commission, with each Implementing Measure addressing the ecodesign requirements for individual product groups. Manufacturers whose products that have been found to meet the requirements detailed in the applicable Implementing Measure can apply the CE Mark to the product as an indication of conformity with the essential requirements of the ErP Directive.
EU Energy Label
The EU Energy Label has also been established to rate an appliance from a set of energy efficiency classes, and to also provide other useful information to customers as they browse through different appliance models. Most white goods, lighting packaging and HVAC (heating, ventilation & air conditioning) products must have an EU Energy Label clearly displayed when offered for sale or rent, and also listed in catalogues and websites when applicable.
TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body authorised to evaluate consumer products for compliance with the requirements of most EU directives and regulations. We offer a range of services to assist consumer product manufacturers and their agents to gain access to the EU marketplace, including:
- Interpretations of the requirements of EU directives
- Advice on which EU directives are applicable to your product
- Testing to the technical requirements of Implementing Measures
- Advice on Declarations of Conformity and the application of CE marking to your product
Our CE marking services for the ErP Directive include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD is equipped to conduct testing and evaluation consistent with the requirements detailed in the Implementing Measures applicable to consumer products.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with the ecodesign requirements of the ErP Directive.
- Life cycle assessment - We can assist in the preparation of an ecological profile of your product to demonstrate its overall environmental impact.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on worldwide regulations and standards applicable to environmental and energy efficiency considerations, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organizations.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with the requirements of the ErP Directive in conjunction with other environmental and energy efficiency regulations and standards applicable to consumer products.