TÜV SÜD Brazil is accredited by INMETRO as a Certification Body for toys, and offers manufacturers and distributors a complete range of testing and certification services applicable to these products. Our global network of accredited laboratories can also test your products to the requirements of the EU’s Directive on the Safety of Toys, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Act (CPSIA), and other national and international regulations and standards.
Our services at a glance
TÜV SÜD provides a full range of testing for compliance with INMETRO requirements applicable to toys and children’s products. Specific services include testing for:
- Physical and mechanical properties - to minimise physical injuries such as cuts, chocking, strangulation, or asphyxiation.
- Product flammability - to reduce the risk of burns, fires or explosions.
- Chemical properties - including significant limits and restrictions for heavy metals and other toxic substances.
- Phthalates determination - to avoid the risk of toxic elements present on plasticisers.
- Biological and Toxicological testing - to minimise dermal and eye irritability and oral toxicity, and others.
- Electrical properties - to minimise the risk of electric shock or fire hazards.
INMETRO, the Brazilian accreditation body, is responsible for the accreditation of each product Certification Body (CB). In addition, INMETRO defines the products and the respective requirements within this certification scheme. Products manufactured in or exported to Brazil need a CB-issued certificate, stating that the product or family meets the Brazilian requirements. Additional market access requirements could be required depending on the specific products.
INMETRO’s technical requirements for toys and children’s products are detailed in national standards prepared by the Mercosur Association for Standardization and the Brazilian Association for Technical Standards, also known as the ABNT.
The Standards currently in force include:
- NM 300-1 - General properties, mechanical and physical
- NM 300-2 - Flammability
- NM 300-3 - Migration of certain chemicals
- NM 300-4 - Games of chemical experiments and activities
- NM 300-5 - Chemical games distinct from games of experiments
- NM 300-6 - Safety of electric toys
- ABNT NBR 16040 - Phtalates Determination
- Inmetro Ordinance 369/2007 - Toxicological Tests
In addition to product testing, compliance with INMETRO certification includes a number of special challenges, such as the appointment of legal representative based in Brazil, periodical factory inspections, and the translation of user documents into Portuguese.
With more than 100 accreditations worldwide, TÜV SÜD offers state-of-the-art testing facilities, and a global network of technical experts that can provide your company with a single source solution for achieving compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements, standards and voluntary industry schemes. In addition, TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international standards development activities, providing our clients with the most up-to-date knowledge of current and future requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
Only toys and children’s products that have been tested and certified by an INMETRO-accredited certification body are legally permitted to be sold in Brazil. Failure to obtain INMETRO certification can result in delays to market entry, or the required withdrawal or seizure of non-certified products, and may also lead to financial penalties.