TÜV SÜD has been accredited by the SCC as a Canadian Certification Body (CB) and is authorised to test electrical products to the requirements of the Canadian Electric Code. In addition, we are a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) under the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), as well as a National Certification Body (NCB) and a Certification Body Testing Laboratory (CBTL) under the IECEE CB Scheme.
Our state-of-the-art testing facilities are equipped to conduct all types of electrical and electronic products, including:
- Information technology and office equipment
- Measurement, control and laboratory equipment
- Electrical equipment for medical use
- Household appliances and similar equipment
- Luminaires and lighting fixtures
- Portable tools
- Audio, visual and entertainment electronics
Our global accreditations make TÜV SÜD a single source for testing and certification services for all types of electrical equipment and devices
The regulatory compliance structure for electrical products in Canada is similar to that found in the U.S. Electrical products must be evaluated by a testing laboratory accredited by a national authority (in this case, the SCC) to assess compliance with the technical requirements found in applicable standards. Product- and installation-specific standards are found in Part II of the Canadian Electric Code.
Technical requirements are similar to those found in the U.S. National Electric Code (NEC), and many Canadian electrical standards have been harmonised with standards in effect in the U.S. and Mexico as a result of the efforts of the Council for the Harmonization of Electromechanical Standards of the Nations of the Americas (CANENA).
Electrical products that have been found in compliance with the requirements of the applicable safety standards may display the certification mark of the SCC-accredited laboratory that performed the evaluation. It is important to note that any testing laboratory accredited by the SCC may conduct the requisite electrical safety testing for products within the scope of its accreditation, and authorise the use of its mark in connection with the sale or importation of electrical products. Testing and certification by the CSA is not a requirement for access to the Canadian market.
Compliance with the requirements of the Canadian Electric Code is a requirement for electrical and electronic products sold or imported throughout Canada. However, since the requirements of the Canadian Electric Code are similar to those of the U.S. National Electric Code (NEC), manufacturers and importers whose electrical products already meet U.S. requirements can gain access to the Canadian market with little additional effort.
TÜV SÜD is a trusted partner to companies ranging from global manufacturers to regional and local research and development firms. Our team of specialists works with you through the entire product development cycle to add value and help you to deliver safe and reliable products. TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
TÜV SÜD’s electrical testing and certification services include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD holds global accreditations for electrical safety testing and certifications, providing manufacturers with a single source for worldwide compliance.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with applicable electrical safety regulations.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations, and stay current on regulations and standards that may affect your products.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with required electrical safety testing in Canada in conjunction with other international regulations and standards.