- Having certificate of Bachelor of engineering or equivalent degree
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in process industry (operations, engineering or consulting)
- Candidate holding diploma in engineering shall have minimum of 6 years of experience
- Having attended a professional training course for minimum 24 hours covering knowledge equivalent to the scope of certification for
- FSEr certification.
- Learning duration
Total 100 marks examination
Part - 1 Written Examination
80 Questions: Multiple choice questions
Part - 2 Case studies
Four (4) subjective questions, each of 5 marks (Total 20 marks Descriptive answers* question)
*The questions will be typically for testing the knowledge gained by the student in the course which asks the student to step by step explain an important feature of the course content or it could be sort of testing the candidate in an actual example /application of FS concepts.
Mode of exam:
Invigilator based proctored exam, pen & paper based. No old exam paper is repeated.
Over all 70% is the passing criteria.
Candidate need to score minimum 50% in part 01 and part 02 respectively and need to obtain aggregate of 70% of the total marks (i.e. 70 out of 100) to pass this examination.
Validity of Certificate:
Extension / Recertification:
The certificate gets extended for next five years, if candidate fulfils the below given requirements successfully. After the completion of 5 years of extension the candidate must reappear from the initial certification for the respective level.
The candidate shall submit log of work carried out in the last five years as application of knowledge gain for IEC standards and Body of Knowledge (BOK)
The project description shall be endorsed by the line manager.
The work related to SIL studies, LOPA Sessions, SIL verification, SIL assessments with proper evidence and the same shall be reviewed by Subject Matter Expert
Candidate shall be interviewed for 30 minutes. The agenda of interview will be discussion on the documents submitted by the candidate for extension / recertification.
If the candidate fails to furnish the required details, participant is required to appear for Examination again.
If the standard ISO/IEC 61508, ISO/IEC 61511 is revised within the 5 years of certification period, then the candidate must appear for the refresher workshop as a pre-requisite and submit the proof for renewal of certification.
Duration of exam:
- 240 minutes which includes part 01 and part 02
- Permitted 20 minutes extra to the Candidates
- whose first language is not the language in which examination is taken and whose ability in that language requires them to work more slowly
- who suffer from disabilities, for example dyslexia, muscular dystrophy etc., which adversely affect their ability to complete the examination in the allotted time
The participants are assessed based on the foundation knowledge of IEC 61508/IEC 61511 standard
Candidate shall be able to apply, analyse and evaluate the following topics:
- Basics of functional safety in accordance IEC 61508/IEC 61511
- Hazard and Risk Analysis
- Planning the safety instrumented systems
- Hardware design
- Software design
- Reliability data
- Using the safety instrumented systems
Deliverables to participants
- Certificate of Successfully completion for “Functional Safety Engineer” (FSEr)
- FSEr card with photograph of candidate on it.