BRC Global Standards is a leading brand and consumer protection organisation, used by over 26,000 certificated suppliers over 130 countries, with certification issued through a global network of accredited certification bodies. BRC Global Standards' guarantee the standardisation of quality, safety and operational criteria and ensure that manufacturers fulfill their legal obligations and provide protection for the end consumer. BRC Global Standards are now often a fundamental requirement of leading retailers, manufacturers and food service organisations.
The format and content of the Standard is designed to allow an assessment of a company’s premises, operational systems and procedures by a competent third party – the certification body – against the requirements of the Standard.
First published in 1998, the Standard is now in its eight issue and is well-established globally.
It provides a framework to manage product safety, integrity, legality and quality, and the operational controls for these criteria in the food and food ingredient manufacturing, processing and packing industry
About BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 8
Issue 8, published in August 2018, and the requirements continue to evolve from previous issues, with a strong emphasis on management commitment, a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) based food safety programme and supporting quality management system.
In this issue, there is also further development of food defense and prevention of food fraud, with expansion of requirement for environmental monitoring of micro-organisms in production facilities.
The continuing objective has been to direct the focus of the audit towards the implementation of good manufacturing practices within the production areas with additional emphasis on areas which have traditionally resulted in recalls and withdrawals (e.g. label and packing management).
Key changes to the standard
The standard has been developed to specify the food safety, quality and operational criteria required to be in place within a food manufacturing organisation to fulfill obligations with regard to legal compliance and protection of the consumer. The focus of attention for this issue has been on:
- Encouraging development of product safety culture
- Expanding the requirements for environmental monitoring to reflect the increasing importance of this technique
- Encouraging sites to further develop systems for security and food defense
- Adding clarity to the requirements for high risk, high-care and ambient high-care production risk zones
- Providing greater clarity for sites manufacturing pet food
- Ensuring global applicability and benchmarking to the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI).
Business Benefits of BRC Global Standard:
- The importance of management commitment.
- Hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP) based food safety programmes.
- Quality management systems
- .Auditing good manufacturing processes – it's not just a paperwork audit.
- Auditing areas which often have the highest rate of product recalls and withdrawals, such as labelling and packing.
- Developing systems to reduce exposure to food fraud.
- Ensuring consistency of the audit process.
- Providing a BRC Global Standard that is portable enough to allow Additional Modules to be added to reduce audit burden.
- Promoting greater resilience, transparency and traceability in the supply chain.
Knowledge sharing through complimentary webinar
To help you understand the key changes and transition requirements for BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 8, TÜV SÜD’s expert will cover all aspects of ISO BRC Global Standard ‘revision essentials’ over a complimentary webinar to ensure a seamless transition. Webinar details as follows:
Date: Monday, 25th March 2019
Time: 12.00 pm IST
Duration: 1 Hour
Speaker: TÜV SÜD’s Expert
Points to be covered during the webinar:
- To know about the Food Safety Management System
- To understand the requirements of the standard with which a company must comply in order to gain certification
- Audit Protocol
- About Additional Modules
To know more about BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 8 Certification, please call us on 1800-212-2000 or mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org